Quartz countertops are a common type of natural stone countertop that provide a luxurious and functional aesthetic to your home. However, like all countertop materials, they can become marred over time due to general use and wear and tear. Knowing what to do and what to avoid when cleaning your quartz countertops is the best way to ensure that they continue to look as good as new for as long as possible.
For general spills and everyday cleaning, quartz is very low maintenance. Making sure that you clean up spills as soon as possible is the best possible way to avoid stains: all you need to use is a general purpose cleaning detergent and a rag (lint free is best, so you avoid leaving fibers on the surface of your counter). If you miss a spill, or a substance hardens on your countertop, don't worry: just soften it up with some warm water and detergent, and use a plastic (not metal, which can scratch quartz) putty knife to scrape away the hardened food.
Stain and Grease Removal
For stains and grease which have begun to set into your quartz, you're going to have to use a little more effort to remove them. For food stains and discoloration of your quartz, you should use a glass cleaner: while not specially formulated for quartz, it won't harm your counters and will help remove colors from the surface of the material.
For grease that has become stuck on your countertop, don't use the plastic putty knife and detergent: that will take more effort and time than it's worth. Instead, you should use a commercial degreaser product, available at most grocery and hardware stores. Simply spray the degreaser on the grease buildup according to the manufacturer's instructions, and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping away the grease to leave your countertops good as new.
What to Avoid
There are a few things to avoid when cleaning quartz countertops. First, make sure that any rags or sponges that you use are soft and non-abrasive, as things like scouring pads and steel wool can scratch the surface of the counter and provide a place for food to get stuck in.
Further, avoid any highly acidic commercial cleaners, like bleach, unless they are heavily diluted, and even then apply with care. Highly acidic cleaners can cause the color to be drained from your countertop, leaving you with an oddly light patch in the middle of your kitchen.Share
29 November 2016